Friday, October 21, 2011

Lonely? Really?

My first reaction to the idea of "The Lonely Profession" is one of shock. I'm not too sure about my  elementary and middle school days, but I do remember teachers popping in and out of their colleagues classrooms throughout high school. I always remember other teachers coming in to my classroom to ask my teacher about random things, from last weekend's football game to that day's weather. Looking back however, I realized that they weren't talking about anything that had to do with teaching. At least from what I saw. It was good that they were social with each other, but perhaps they should have been sharing teaching ideas. I also do not remember seeing any new teachers interact this way, they were always more experienced ones. I found the discussion of Web 2.0 tools in collaborative projects the most interesting part of the article. Using these tools, teachers can remain connected to not only other teachers in the school, but teachers around the world. These tools allow teachers to keep in contact more easily, particularly due to conflicting schedules and, in the case of international teachers, conflicting time zones.

6 comments:

  1. I agree that the new technologies are a way for teachers to communicate. These types of technologies are also really useful to also get other ideas for their teaching and "virtually" meet new teachers across the globe. It's a great way to exchange ideas and even ask for suggestions to improve your teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea i to never really noticed how little my high school teachers collaborated with school work. The more teachers collaborate the less they should feel isolated and lonely. It would boost esteem for the teachers as well as bring about new ideas for the classroom. I believe it would help raise the standard of education.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading your blog made me reflect on whether or not I saw teacher collaboration. I only saw it in my middle school because I went to a Magnet school. It was pretty cool. BUT in high school, I don't remember anything about collaboration. At least, I didn't see it or feel it when I was taught. I was lucky enough to have great English teachers but what makes a teacher greater is when they use their resources and tie them into a lesson. I think your blog is an important reflection that our students will remember how they were taught and if they were taught well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had similar experiences in school, but assumed that teachers talked about actual teaching in the teacher's lounge or at meetings. I know if it was me, I wouldn't want to talk about work constantly either.

    Do you think that teachers should be encouraged to work with other teachers within their own schools, building upon those relationships and improving the schools dynamic, rather than focusing on finding teachers far away?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Matthew, I think there are benefits connecting with teachers in your own school as well as teachers from other schools. Then you'll come in contact with and understand diverse perspectives, teaching styles, etc. But how are we supposed to connect with teachers from other schools, near or far, if we can't even connect with teachers in our own school?

    I didn't realize teaching was considered "the lonely profession" either. Boss discusses in her article how schools isolate teachers, keeping them in their own classrooms. Do teachers feel as if they have no one to talk when they need advice...or just time to vent? Are teachers making the effort to connect with other teachers and getting nothing in return?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you Nick. I don't see how it is a lonely profession at all. It's up to you as a teacher to get connected.

    ReplyDelete